Gioia Perugini works with individuals, families, advisors, charitable trusts, and foundations to provide a range of philanthropic and family office services. Her clients rely on her to design and implement charitable giving strategies, research particular charities, negotiate gifts of cash or tangible assets, and coordinate family meetings. Gioia’s practice also specializes in engaging multiple generations in family philanthropy.
- Recently negotiated a significant gift of fine art to a premier cultural institution from a foundation created by the estate of a renowned artist. Worked directly with the trustees and executors to translate the foundation's mission as expressed in the client's will, identified the appropriate charity, completed due diligence on the organization, oversaw appraisals, and led negotiations regarding ownership, copyright, reproductions, and care of the art.
- Oversees the grant making for Jane's Trust, a charitable trust client that makes significant grants in Massachusetts, northern New England, and Florida in the arts, education, environment, and health and welfare. Gioia's work includes identifying appropriate charities, conducting due diligence and site visits, communicating with trustees, and staffing board meetings.
- Serves as an advisor to Positive Tracks, a national nonprofit that helps youth get active and make change. Gioia helped the founder form Positive Tracks, first as a private operating foundation and then as a public charity. She continues to advise Positive Tracks on management, governance, and strategic growth
- Works with multigenerational families to design and implement meaningful ways to engage the next generation in family philanthropy.
Activities and Publications
A frequent speaker, writer and panelist on issues relevant to philanthropy and the nonprofit sector, Gioia has recently been:
- Contributor, Hemenway & Barnes’ Philanthropy Blog
- Presenter, Philanthropy Massachusetts (formerly Associated Grant Makers) and Family Office Exchange (FOX)
- Reviewer, Massachusetts Cultural Council's Cultural Facilities Fund grants
- Co-author, National Center for Family Philanthropy, "Positive Tracks: A Story of Generation Next Philanthropy"
- Co-author, Family Office Exchange publication, "Sitting on a Nonprofit Board: What to Consider Before Saying Yes"
- Author, "It's All In the Money... Or is it? Creative Strategies for Charitable Giving"
Gioia is active in organizations and philanthropic networks across New England, as well as in the local Brookline community, including most recently:
- Vice President, Board of Trustees, and Chair, Program & Grants Committee, Brookline Community Foundation
- Board Member, Positive Tracks
- Board Member, Maine Philanthropy Center
- Member, Steering Committee, Maine Environmental Funders Network
- Brookline High School PTO Executive Board (Class of 2022 representative)
Gioia C. Perugini’s Comments on Educating the Next Generation of Family Philanthropists
“One of the best parts of my job is helping families come together to define and implement their philanthropic goals. As families grow and evolve, a thoughtful, well-designed, customized approach can help bring generations together to carry on family legacies.”