Gioia Perugini works with individuals, families, advisors, charitable trusts and foundations to provide a range of philanthropic and client services. Her clients rely on her to design and implement charitable giving strategies, research particular charities, negotiate gifts of cash or tangible assets and coordinate family meetings.
- Recently negotiated a significant gift of fine art to a premier cultural institution from a foundation created by the estate of a renowned artist. Worked directly with the trustees and executors to translate the foundation's mission as expressed in the client's will, identified the appropriate charity, completed due diligence on the organization, oversaw appraisals and led negotiations regarding ownership, copyright, reproductions and care of the art.
- Oversees the environmental and arts and culture grant making for Jane's Trust, a charitable trust client that makes significant grants in Massachusetts, northern New England and Florida. Gioia's work includes identifying appropriate charities, conducting due diligence and site visits, communicating with trustees and staffing board meetings.
- Gioia is a philanthropic advisor to Positive Tracks, a project that partners with charitable organizations and athletic events to encourage youth fitness and wellness; to teach creative, hands-on philanthropy; and to extend youth challenge grants to charity partners. Gioia helped the founder form Positive Tracks and oversees the legal, administrative and philanthropic functions of this private operating foundation.
- Gioia also works with multiple generations of a family client group, consulting both on concierge client services and philanthropic advisory work for individual family members, trustees of family charitable trusts and on special projects such as joint family giving.
Activities and Publications
A frequent speaker, writer and panelist on issues relevant to philanthropy and the nonprofit sector, Gioia has recently been:
- Reviewer, Massachusetts Cultural Council's Cultural Facilities Fund grants, Harvard Pilgrim Healthcare Foundation's Maine Local Foods grants program
- Presenter, Philanthropy Massachusetts (formerly Associated Grant Makers) and Maine Philanthropy Center
- Co-author, National Center for Family Philanthropy, "Positive Tracks: A Story of Generation Next Philanthropy"
- Co-author, Family Office Exchange publication, "Sitting on a Nonprofit Board: What to Consider Before Saying Yes"
- Author, "It's All In the Money... Or is it? Creative Strategies for Charitable Giving"
Gioia is active in organizations and philanthropic networks across New England, as well as in the local Brookline Community, including most recently:
- Secretary of Board of Directors, and Chair of Program & Grants Committee, Brookline Community Foundation
- Board Member, Positive Tracks
- Board Member, Maine Philanthropy Center
- Member, Steering Committee, Maine Environmental Funders Network