Vanessa Arslanian concentrates her practice in government and administrative law, in business and real estate litigation, and in nonprofit representation.
Before joining Hemenway & Barnes, Vanessa practiced for several years at a large Boston firm, where she represented individuals and companies in complex business litigation, criminal and civil government investigations brought by the Department of Justice and Securities and Exchange Commission, and in a variety of other litigation matters.
Vanessa has also maintained an active pro bono practice representing housing-insecure individuals, including in appealing state agency benefits determinations.
During law school, Vanessa served as a legal intern in the Queens County District Attorney’s Office.
- Lead associate representing an executive of a public health care company in investigations by the Securities & Exchange Commission and Department of Justice involving fraud, internal controls over financial reporting, corporate governance, and FCPA issues.
- Lead associate representing employer in non-compete injunction proceedings before the Delaware Chancery Court.
- Lead associate representing individual employees of a financial services firm in defense of a securities fraud investigation brought by the Department of Justice.
- Assist with counseling nonprofit organizations regarding annual reporting and registration requirements in several jurisdictions.
- Member of case team representing a global financial institution in defense of a multi-year federal money laundering investigation conducted by the Department of Justice.
- Researches and writes appellate and amicus curiae briefs in state and federal appeals on behalf of prominent nonprofits, industry associations and government officials covering a variety of topics including the First and Second Amendments.
Named to the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star List, 2017
Activities and Publications
- Steering Committee Member, Boston Bar Association's White Collar Crime Section
- Member of the Women's White Collar Defense Association, Boston Chapter
- Wrestling with Location Privacy at the High Court, Law360 (Dec. 4, 2017)
- President, Wellesley College Alumnae Class of 2009
- Boston College Law School Reunion Committee
Vanessa Arslanian’s Comment on Dispute Resolution
“When our clients come to us in the litigation context, they entrust us with some of their most sensitive business and personal matters. It is my job not only to provide competent legal counsel, but to ensure our clients know that I treat their questions and challenges as seriously as they do. I pride myself on being highly responsive, and on bringing empathy and careful listening to the table in any discussion with clients, opposing counsel, or the government. A nuanced understanding of interests on all sides is critical to achieving the best resolution for our clients.”