Corporations, nonprofits and individuals with complex state and local tax matters often turn to our attorneys for help resolving their disputes. Our team of tax attorneys, litigators and accountants have in-depth knowledge of tax reporting requirements as well as the audit and appeals process. From tax planning, ruling requests and appeals from state tax assessments to litigating cases in state courts and at the Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board, we are ready to help you avoid and resolve state and local tax disputes.
Our attorneys include the former Commissioner of Revenue at the Massachusetts Department of Revenue, the former leader of Deloitte’s Multistate Tax Group in Boston, a tax specialist from the Internal Revenue Service from the Exempt Organization Division and former Deputy Counsel for several Massachusetts governors.
- Appealing state tax assessments issued by the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
- Serving as special counsel in appeals involving valuation of state-owned land.
- Seeking exemption from local taxes for religious and charitable institutions.
- Serving as state and local tax counsel to all of the major professional athlete players’ associations including the Major League Baseball Players Association, the National Football League Players Association and the National Hockey League Players Association.
- Represented numerous large public corporations in resolving contested state tax assessments, including companies in the utility, biotechnology, life sciences, and technology industries. Drafting of ruling requests for clients concerning a wide variety of state tax matters, including combined reporting, sales tax nexus and state tax conformity to federal non-recognition provisions.
- Representing clients in connection with field audits conducted by the state taxing authorities, including the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.
- Represents clients on Internal Revenue Service audit matters through written correspondence and in-person meetings.
- Representing clients in all types of matters before the Appellate Tax Board and on appeal from decisions of the Board.
- Advising closely held businesses and their individual owners on local, state, federal and international tax issues related to initial organization, day to day operations and major transactions.