Our clients are often presented with opportunities to form strategic alliances with other enterprises, allowing them to streamline their current business activities or broaden the scope of their operations to previously untapped market opportunities. These can involve joint partnerships between solution providers as well as financial collaborations between investors and developers.
Every partnership, joint venture or strategic alliance requires careful attention to the complex legal issues that they present, including questions of structure, management, control and ownership of assets, including intellectual property. Each also involves navigation of tax, securities, and accounting concerns. Our business attorneys' broad, cross-industry experience makes them ideally situated to successfully negotiate and advise our clients on these complex issues.
Our Business Law Group's integrated approach ensures that business owners have access to subject matter experts in all phases of their transactions, including:
- Legal Structure
- Regulatory Compliance
- Tax planning and structuring
- A wind energy developer needed help building strategic partnerships while paying particular attention to complex regulatory and financing issues. Hemenway & Barnes successfully negotiated and structured partnership agreements for this client with landholders, including tribal lands, turbine manufacturers and other stakeholders in the wind energy industry.
- A manufacturer of food service equipment needed assistance with international distribution and partnership agreements. The company hired our firm to structure the relationships and negotiate and draft the documents.
- An information service provider hired Hemenway & Barnes to create an alliance with business process solution providers for a joint solution for healthcare data analysis, management and processing.
- As lead deal counsel for the foremost U.S. health care data provider for cross-platform technology solutions and analytics, Hemenway & Barnes has assisted the company with its merger and acquisition transactions, strategic partnering and technology agreements in North America.
Licensing and Transactions
Whether you are a software developer looking to distribute your products or a business purchasing a new enterprise system, Hemenway & Barnes can help you review and negotiate complex licensing transactions. We have a broad range of experience, including technology transfer, marketing and distribution, manufacturing and supply, and research and development agreements.
- A major developer needed help licensing its products; interactive television games and interfaces for the cable television industry. Hemenway & Barnes stepped up to the task, negotiating and drafting licensing, maintenance and support and other agreements with the developer's customers.
- A publicly-held software systems company needed our assistance to license and implement business process outsourcing solutions which included software, customization and implementation.
- A company hired Hemenway & Barnes to negotiate a licensing agreement with a SaaS vendor for a global data center addressing privacy and technology protection concerns.
- Providers of expert system modules across several markets have engaged Hemenway & Barnes to serve as general counsel. We've helped them with their entity formation, private and venture capital financings, systems development, regulatory compliance, technology and clinical content licensing, and negotiations with the customer payor and provider marketplace.
- We serve as general counsel for one of the major health maintenance organizations in Massachusetts and special counsel for the largest HMO in the state, handling matters that include negotiations of technology and clinical information systems agreements.