Hemenway & Barnes provides comprehensive general counsel services to privately held companies, family businesses and nonprofits in a wide variety of industries, including real estate, technology, health care, manufacturing, financial and professional services.
By maintaining personal-partner level relationships with our clients, we are able to provide practical, timely advice on a day-to-day basis and during transactions and transitions. Our experience ranges from contract negotiations to corporate governance, including:
- Compensation and equity participation
- Commercial transactions and licensing agreements
- Debt and equity financing
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- Real estate leasing and acquisition
- Succession planning
- Tax planning and disputes
- A charitable organization initially came to H&B for help with its nonprofit work. As their needs evolved, so did our role. Serving as general counsel for more than a decade now, we help the organization navigate their nonprofit, corporate, tax and real estate matters.
- After successfully representing a private equity firm in the acquisition of a distressed regional consumer product/home delivery business, the operating company retained H&B to serve as outside general counsel.
- Serving as general counsel to an SEC-registered investment advisor with approximately $1 billion in assets under management, H&B created and maintains compliance policies and procedures and organized and maintains the company’s pooled investment vehicles, which included drafting private placement memorandums, governing documents and securities law compliance policies.
- Providers of expert system modules across several markets have engaged H&B to serve as general counsel. Our attorneys have assisted with entity formation, private and venture capital financings, systems development, regulatory compliance, technology and clinical content licensing, and negotiations with the customer payor and provider marketplace.
- A health care technology company that developed software and web-based systems to streamline the healthcare payment process hired H&B to serve as general counsel, including assisting in the formation of the company and representing it through three rounds of venture capital-led financing.
- H&B serves as general counsel for one of the major health maintenance organizations in Massachusetts and special counsel for the largest HMO in the state, handling matters that include negotiations of technology and clinical information systems agreements.