We represent clients in all phases of the development process. From selecting the appropriate development entity to navigating complex community processes, we guide landowners and developers through the complex laws and regulations governing the use and development of their property.
Our experience includes:
- Acquisition and Leasing
- Dispute Resolution
Development, Financing & Acquisitions
Our team advises developers and lenders in all stages of commercial real estate development projects, including multi-family housing, retail, office, affordable housing, and mixed use.
Our experience spans:
- Due diligence reviews
- Land acquisition
- Equity and debt financing
- Tax treatment
- Negotiating and drafting agreements
- Construction related work
Permitting, Land Use & Zoning
This process often includes negotiating with local, state and federal permitting authorities, as well as neighbors and other interested parties, and representing clients at hearings and meetings. We work with owners and developers to:
- Identify the permits and approvals required under zoning, environmental and other land-use laws for a particular use or project
- Develop a strategy for obtaining these permits and approvals
- Execute this strategy and obtain the necessary permits and approvals in a timely fashion
We take the time to get to know you, your business, your goals and your challenges. With this comprehensive approach, we help you prioritize issues, solve problems and create opportunities.
- A South Shore nonprofit engaged us to represent them in connection with the construction of an addition to its Marshfield facility, which was funded in part through Federal Economic Stimulus funds.
- A development company asked us for advice regarding how to convert a privately owned public golf course to a private golf club.
- A residential contractor sought our help in negotiating and drafting an agreement with a local development agency to construct 196 units for sale to qualified low-income residents.
- An individual client hired us to advise him in connection with the purchase and renovation of a building in the Kendall Square area of Cambridge and the creation of an artist condominium.
- A nonprofit hired us to obtain permitting for a new headquarters facility in Boston.
- Working with a national bank for more than 30 years, we advise the commercial real estate bankers on structuring new deals and a range of acquisition, construction and term loans.
- A nonprofit energy company relies on us to help them navigate their real estate matters, including new developments in wind, solar and transmission projects.
- Serving as general counsel to a real estate development company, we handle all aspects of their residential, commercial and mixed-use projects in Greater Boston, including acquisition, permitting, financing and construction.
- Assisted national REIT in obtaining state and municipal approvals for the development of 700+ apartment units in the West End of Boston.
- Assisted national real estate developer in permitting of 85-unit apartment complex in Kendall Square, Cambridge.
- Represented Boston-based developer in obtaining state and municipal approvals for development of more than 400 residential units in Brighton (Boston).
- Represented developer in securing planning board approval of 40+ lot residential subdivision.
- Assisted national REIT in obtaining state and local permits for 440-unit residential development in Chinatown neighborhood of Boston.
- Assisted a prominent manufacturer in obtaining permits for a facility expansion in Cambridge.
- Represented a national real estate developer in obtaining permits for mixed use, transit-orientated developer in Malden Center.
The Real Estate Law Group provides comprehensive real estate representation in all aspects of commercial real estate law. We also assist clients with